This code received several iterations, however, never truly received the refactoring it needed. Not it's original focus, the reservation widget soon overtook the CE site in reservation volume. We implemented many features - special meal reservations, private dining, reservation fees - all while providing endless customization via an admin interface. I was responsible for maintaining 5 layouts that had responsive widths, hosted 3 different reservation types, and provided the maximum potential for restaurant customization.
Just in time for Valentine's Day, this site would allow you to schedule and send pre-made sentiments via Twitter and email. What woman wouldn't think this special?
The challenge of this project was the turnaround time, as it was integrated with a TV campaign. At this stage of the game I was 8 months pregnant and pulling 60+ hours a week to get the job done. Pop Art worked closely with Weiden + Kennedy, which meant that we essentially had two groups of folks to please: W + K and Old Spice. A lot of changes, challenges and timely execution, but the site was an overall success. I worked with some of the most talented developers I'd ever met and some class acts in the design department.
I would later work with those same devs at Metal Toad and at Burnside Digital.
Leatherman's redesign was a large undertaking incorporating an ever-increasing number of products, and the possibility of translating the site into several languages. Using .Net resource files, the site was organized to facilitate future translation. Images were organized to minimize translation. To maximize SEO, sIFR was used extensively, with an eye toward optimization and iPhone rendering (no flash support therefore a visually appealing font substitute). sIFR proved a challenge in that font's were modified somewhat to incorporate specific characters and line height to preserve headline placement. While impossible to account for all variation, it was an important adjustment for the varying headlines in different languages.
Adherence to web standards, a given in all our work, in this instance was crucial to support SEO and to increase online retail sales.
The deploy process of site maintenance was adjusted to allow for client manipulation of text, and product addition. This proved to require extensive use of versioning software to at times branch for development, while maintaining a constantly changing trunk. I got rather intimate with Subversion and the merging process.
A major addition to the newly redesigned Leatherman site, we tied the new website to the older online order store used by Leatherman in-house to provide a way to allow dealers and other selected Pro users a way to order and purchase tools to use and test, online.
In addition to an on-going maintenance contract, we added the ability to complete a 24-hour turnaround order to the website. A major addition to a somewhat older homegrown CMS code-base, this proved somewhat of a front-end challenge. jQuery was used to incorporate a user-friendly UI to the order process, working hand in hand with an extensive back-end addition. I communicated extensively with the design team to understand the intended interactivity and worked closely with the .Net developer to make it happen. Also completed a redesign of the the email order confirmation.
Largely a flash micro-site showcasing a recent national tour of the Freightliner Cascadia.
Micro-site that incorporated media, send-to-a-friend, integrated Flickr images taken along the tour, and a map of future stops for a publicity tour of Detroit Diesel's newest engine line.